Skip to main content

Flutter by Olivia Evans Blog Tour



Blurb:
Dylan Walker has spent six years trying to move on from the loss of his girlfriend, Presley Cooper. Motivated by grief and the desire to do for others what he couldn’t do for her, he burns the candle at both ends to make it through medical school. After graduation he moves west, putting as much distance as possible between his past and his present.
Or so he thought.
Unknowingly, Dylan has been set on a path that will destroy everything he thought he knew. All the pain, all the grief, was all for nothing. With the help of an unexpected ally, Dylan must find the answers and save the girl he loves before it’s too late.
Deceit.
Betrayal.
Revenge.
A second chance at love.
But first, he must find a way to make her remember her past. Remember him. Remember everything.






Buy Links:




Excerpts (please use ONE in your post):
1.“You know, Dylan, there are many hospitals you could work at in New York. If I didn’t believe your moving to California with all those hippies was the best thing for you, I might beg you to stay.”


An unexpected laugh bubbled from his chest as he shook his head. His grandmother put up a good front about being accepting of different cultures and lifestyles, but try as she might, she was blue-blooded through and through. Growing up in one of the wealthiest families in New York had a way of doing that to a person. He had been like that once, before he lost her. The familiar hollowness that always came with her memory began to swell. He couldn’t deal with that right now.


“You’re the one who suggested I interview at Grace Hospital in the first place. If it weren’t for you, I never would have considered moving to California. Also,” Dylan exhaled. “I need a change, Grandmother. There are too many memories here. Too many ghosts.” When he noticed her frown, he looked away and pushed his messy dark blond hair out of his eyes. He needed a haircut. It was one of many things he'd neglected recently.


“I know you loved her, Dylan. I loved her too, but it's been six years. It's time to accept what happened and move forward.”


“Two,” he corrected, trying not to flinch. Her words felt like a physical blow. “Until two years ago, I still had hope that one day…” Dylan pulled in a deep breath and pushed his memories into the darkest corner of his mind. “That’s why I’m moving to California. Going to college at Penn State, staying close to home, those were things we were supposed to do together. I’ve lived the life we planned without her. I thought it would get better, but it hasn’t. I need to go where everything I see doesn’t remind me of her.”


2. “I must admit, I’ve only had a few residents in all my years here who have pushed themselves as hard as you, for no other reason than sheer determination. I can’t help but wonder why that is.”

Dylan fell into step with Dr. Edmonds as they walked toward the first set of doors. He licked his lips and averted his gaze. He wasn’t sure he liked the direction of the conversation. “What do you mean?” he asked as Dr. Edmonds swiped his badge across the security panel. The light flashed green, and a second later a buzzer sounded as the door locks disengaged.

“You’re not doing this out of necessity. Dr. Burton is a friend of mine as well, you know?”

Dr. Burton. Dylan’s grandmother’s doctor friend who’d referred Dylan to Grace and Dr. Edmonds. He was now certain he didn’t like the direction of the conversation. Dylan cleared his throat. “I assumed you two must have known each other in some capacity for him to refer me to you.”

Dr. Edmonds nodded. “Yes. We’re old friends. I’ve also met your grandmother, Ann, a time or two. Very smart lady. Full of spunk too,” he chuckled.

Dylan cracked a smile. “That she is.”

“My point is,” Dr. Edmonds said, not straying from his line of questioning. “I’m aware that your family is quite wealthy. So, whereas the other residents are driven by money to work such brutal hours, I would bet that’s not the case with you. Now, I could be wrong, of course, but in my professional opinion,” he added with a quirk of his lips. “Your desire to push yourself so hard comes from another place entirely. As your mentor, I should know what that is.”
For a moment, Dylan didn’t speak. He weighed his options about just how much he should reveal before releasing a heavy breath and looking Dr. Edmonds in the eye. “Why did you become a psychiatrist?”

Dylan watched as understanding colored Dr. Edmonds’s face, and a sad smile caused the lines around his mouth to deepen. It was a common theory that most doctors became psychiatrists to deal with their own issues. For Dylan, and, it seemed, Dr. Edmonds as well, that theory was more of a reality.

“We all have our reasons, I suppose,” Dr. Edmonds conceded. “I just need to know that yours aren’t going to jeopardize the treatment of a patient.”

Dylan straightened his shoulders, the motion making his lean runner’s body seem wider, more imposing. “I only want to help. I want to help people see their worth, understand that they have options.”

“Apart from what?”

Dylan’s neutral expression masked the turmoil swirling inside his chest as he released the answer in a choked exhale. “Death.”


3. Too many times he’d kept his feelings for her hidden, not only because of his fear of rejection, but because Presley was his friend. The thought of losing their friendship if things didn’t work out between them was terrifying. But this was their last year of school, and if he had any hope of seeing how they could be together, he’d have to do it now, before Chris or Matt or any of the other guys with half a brain beat him to the punch. Pulling in a deep breath, he walked over to her table and took the seat across from her. She hadn’t noticed him yet, and for that, he was grateful. He needed a moment to settle his nerves. He took a sip of his drink and listened to Presley and Chris’s conversation.

“You shouldn’t smoke before the first day of school. It sucks bad enough without having to deal with wanting to sleep all day,” Chris said, commenting on how tired Presley seemed.

Presley laughed, and the sound caused the corner of Dylan’s mouth to lift into a smile. “That’s a rookie mistake. I know better. I’m just tired.”

Chris leaned in closer, his arm moving to the back of Presley’s chair. “Yeah, well, that’s what happens when you spend the summer in Italy, living inside a wine barrel.”

Without thinking, Dylan grabbed a fry from his tray and threw it at Presley. It smacked her right in the face. “Presley Cooper,” he admonished, mock disapproval written all over his face.

A look of surprise crossed her features before her lips curved into a sly smile. “Dylan Walker,” she mimicked, flinging the fry back at him.

Dylan winked and slouched down in his chair with his hands threaded behind his head. He tried to keep his posture casual, but up close, she was even prettier. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. Uneasy about what he was going to do, Dylan fell into the comfort of their normal banter.

“I’m disappointed in you. I’ve been single almost two weeks, and you haven’t bothered to make one inappropriate comment about offering a helping hand to stroke my ego.”

A laugh burst from Presley’s chest, the abrupt sound attracting the attention of their classmates. She covered her mouth, her eyes wide. Dylan chuckled when she dropped her hands and let out an exasperated sigh. “I’ve only been home for a week, and today is the first time I’ve seen you. Also, in case you didn’t get the memo, stroking your ego was so last breakup.”

Presley popped a fry in her mouth and rolled her eyes. She looked bored, but this wasn’t a new game for Dylan. He knew she was enjoying their repartee as much as he was.

“You’re right,” he nodded, his expression turning thoughtful. “That was so last breakup. You wanna know what the new rage is for getting over a breakup?”

Presley grinned. “What’s that?”

“A new girlfriend.”

Presley lifted her brow and cocked her head to the side. “You want me to help you find a girlfriend? I’ve got to say, I’m not sure how I feel about this new trend. From hand job to handmaid? I feel gypped.”

“Oh, Presley,” Dylan tsked, his smile widening even as his heart pounded in his chest. “I don’t need you to help me find a girlfriend. I think you should be my girlfriend.”


4. Without thinking, Dylan grabbed a fry from his tray and threw it at Presley. It smacked her right in the face. “Presley Cooper,” he admonished, mock disapproval written all over his face.

A look of surprise crossed her features before her lips curved into a sly smile. “Dylan Walker,” she mimicked, flinging the fry back at him.

Dylan winked and slouched down in his chair with his hands threaded behind his head. He tried to keep his posture casual, but up close, she was even prettier. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. Uneasy about what he was going to do, Dylan fell into the comfort of their normal banter.

“I’m disappointed in you. I’ve been single almost two weeks, and you haven’t bothered to make one inappropriate comment about offering a helping hand to stroke my ego.”

A laugh burst from Presley’s chest, the abrupt sound attracting the attention of their classmates. She covered her mouth, her eyes wide. Dylan chuckled when she dropped her hands and let out an exasperated sigh. “I’ve only been home for a week, and today is the first time I’ve seen you. Also, in case you didn’t get the memo, stroking your ego was so last breakup.”

Presley popped a fry in her mouth and rolled her eyes. She looked bored, but this wasn’t a new game for Dylan. He knew she was enjoying their repartee as much as he was.

“You’re right,” he nodded, his expression turning thoughtful. “That was so last breakup. You wanna know what the new rage is for getting over a breakup?”

Presley grinned. “What’s that?”

“A new girlfriend.”

Presley lifted her brow and cocked her head to the side. “You want me to help you find a girlfriend? I’ve got to say, I’m not sure how I feel about this new trend. From hand job to handmaid? I feel gypped.”

“Oh, Presley,” Dylan tsked, his smile widening even as his heart pounded in his chest. “I don’t need you to help me find a girlfriend. I think you should be my girlfriend.”

“I see,” she hummed, tapping a finger to her chin. “You want me to be the next ex-girlfriend. I still don’t see how I’m benefitting from this.”

“Shut up,” Dylan joked, pushing his chair back and walking around the table, completely ignoring the murmurs of their friends. He bent down until they were at eye level and tugged the ends of her hair, his mouth lifting into a one-sided smile and causing his single dimple to deepen. “Let’s just focus on the part about you becoming my girlfriend first. We’ll worry about the rest later.”

The murmurs turned to not so subtle whispers. Pink crept over Presley’s skin, and her grip tightened on the back of her chair. She stared at him for what felt like an eternity before a nervous smile turned up the corners of her mouth. Her voice shook when she spoke. “Are you serious?”

Dylan swallowed hard and nodded. “Yeah, I’m serious. Why not? You got somebody else in mind?” His jaw tightened, and his eyes involuntarily drifted to Chris, who was watching their exchange with narrowed eyes.

“No,” Presley replied softly. “No one else.”

“Come on, then. Be my girl.”

Presley let out a shaky laugh. “You’re crazy.”

Dylan shrugged and pulled her to her feet. “Maybe. So what? Say you’ll be my girl.”


5. Dylan stood in front of his bathroom sink, a towel wrapped around his waist as he wiped the fog from the mirror. He studied his face, the lines that creased the skin around his blue-gray eyes and the shadows underneath that never seemed to fade. His eyes dropped lower, and his hand lifted of its own accord to trace the wing of the butterfly tattooed over his heart. The red ink curved and twisted to form a beautiful wing on one side, while the other was nothing but sharp, broken lines, the decayed black wing dripping with ink. It was the perfect tribute to Presley. She used to say he made her flutter. He regretted never telling her she did the same to him. When she left, she took that feeling with her.


6. “What do you want from me?” Dylan twisted his hands in his hair and paced in front of her. “I don’t know what you want me to say. Every fucking day for over a month I’ve asked you if you were okay. I’ve begged you to talk to me, but all you’ve done is pop another pill and tell me you’re fine. You won’t talk to me. You won’t let me in.”
“Because you don’t want to be in here!” she screamed, pointing to her head. “It took you a week to get over what happened. It’s like it never happened as far as you’re concerned. Like you never really cared!”

Dylan stared at her, his face colored with disbelief. “Are you fucking kidding me?” he choked, his eyes glistening. “I begged you not to do it, and when you did, even though it killed me, I told you it was okay, that we would be okay because I fucking love you. And still, you pushed me away. Every fucking day, you’ve pushed me away when all I’ve wanted is to be with you.”

“Because I hate myself,” she cried, tears running down her cheeks.

“That’s your fucking problem! You don’t get to be angry at me for doing something I never wanted in the first place, Presley!”

Presley’s face fell, and all the anger drained from her body. “You’re right,” she whispered, taking a step back. “It is my problem.”

Dylan’s face twisted with pain and regret. “I didn’t mean that. I’m sorry.”

Presley shook her head and looked toward the curb. She lifted her hand and signaled for one the waiting cars to pull forward. “I’m going to go.”

“No, baby, please don’t,” Dylan begged, moving forward to catch her. “The last time you ran away from me in a cab was the worst moment in both our lives. Please don’t leave me like that again.”

Tears pooled in Presley’s eyes as her stomach bottomed out. “This isn’t like that. I just want to go home. I need to be alone. I’m messed up, Dylan, and I’m the only one who can fix me.”

“Please don’t go,” he whispered, his face solemn.

“I’ll call you tomorrow. I promise. I just need to think. Please.”

Dylan stared at her for a long moment before his shoulders dropped in defeat. He stepped forward and wrapped her in his arms. “I love you, Elvis.”

“I love you too.” Presley lifted her chin and pressed her lips against his. “I’ll call you tomorrow.” With a final goodbye, she stepped into the waiting car and gave the driver her address. The entire ride, all she could hear were Dylan’s angry words telling her it was all her fault.





Playlist:

 


Author Bio:



Olivia Evans is a dreamer by day, writer by night. She's obsessed with music and loves discovering new bands. Traveling the world and watching the sun set in every time zone sounds like heaven to her. A true Gemini, she follows her heart blindly and lives life to the fullest with her husband, son, and friends. Her other loves are: Chuck Taylors, Doc Martens, concert tees, gangster movies, sports, wine, craft beer and her shih tzu's.



Giveaway:



One winner will win a $50 Amazon Gift Card. Giveaway open internationally. 






FlutterFlutter by Olivia Evans
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story was so creative. It was a refreshing take on this genre and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was dark, beautiful, well-written and completely suspenseful.

There are so many twists and turns, I could not even begin to describe this book and you definitely don't want me to.

It is best to go in blind reading this. Trust me you will not regret it. This has definitely been my favorite book from Olivia Evans thus far. I can't wait to read more from her.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tempt the Playboy by Natasha Madison Blog Tour

Nook Kobo Amazon iBooks














play·boy
ˈplāˌboi/
noun
a wealthy man who spends his time enjoying himself, especially one who behaves irresponsibly or is sexually promiscuous.
Synonyms: socialite, pleasure seeker.



Noah
I have it all, money, looks, and any woman I want.
Till I meet her and my universe is knocked on its ass and she wants nothing to do with me.

Second Chance Girl Blog Tour

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Fool’s Gold romances Susan Mallery, comes the second standalone title in the Happily, Inc. Series—YOU SAY IT FIRST! You’re invited to visit Happily, Inc., a wedding destination founded on a fairy tale. Where people live… wait for it… happily ever after.Order your copy today! SECOND CHANCE GIRL Synopsis:From the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Susan Mallery, read the second irresistible installment in the Happily Inc series! Mathias Mitchell’s easy smile hides a world of hurt. After the worst kind of family betrayal, he moves to Happily Inc., California—the wedding destination town supplies a steady stream of bridesmaids, perfect for his “no promises, no pain” lifestyle. Yet he can’t stop watching for his beautiful, elusive neighbor on the animal preserve behind their homes. Gamekeeper Carol Lund knows she’s not special enough to attract an alpha male like Mathias, so his offer to help her adopt a herd for her lonely giraffe is s…

Bad at Love Cover Reveal by Karina Halle

Bad at Love by Karina HalleRelease Date: November 16thGenre: Contemporary RomanceCover Designer: Hang Le
Bad at Love, an all-new contemporary STANDALONE by New York Times Bestselling author Karina Halle is coming November 16th!!!
She's bad at love, but he's even worse... Marina is hot, blonde, and wickedly smart, but when it comes to men? She's hopeless. Between her quirks and her lack of filter, there isn't a man in Los Angeles that will stick around after the third date. Her handsome, charming friend Lazarus has the opposite problem. Everyone wants to be his girlfriend, but he gets bored and moves on quickly. There's only one way to figure out why neither of them has cracked this love thing-- they'll date each other. On paper, it's the perfect experiment. But in reality, things between Marina and Laz get complicated quickly. They might be bad at love, but they are even worse at being friends. Add to GoodReads: http://bit.ly/2yJATbB
Meet Karina: Karina Halle is a…